Tear testing provides information on the energy or force required to propagate a tear through a material.
Tear testing is commonly performed on foils, plastics, paper, and textiles. DDL has capability to perform many different types of tear tests, such as trouser tear, graves tear and the pendulum (Elmendorf) method.
Shown below are a few of the standards that employ tear testing:
- ASTM D624 – Tear Strength of Conventional Vulcanized Rubber and Thermoplastic Elastomers
- ASTM D1004- Tear Resistance (Graves Tear) of Plastic Film and Sheeting
- ASTM D1922 – Propagation Tear Resistance of Plastic Film and Thin Sheeting by Pendulum Method
- ASTM D1938 – Standard Test Method for Tear-Propagation Resistance (Trouser Tear) of Plastic Film and Thin Sheeting by a Single-Tear Method
- TAPPI T 414 – Internal Tearing resistance of Paper (Elmendorf)
- ISO 6383-2 – Plastics — Film and sheeting — Determination of tear resistance — Part 2: Elmendorf method
Have a question about tear testing? Please contact us or Ask our Product & Material Testing Engineer about your next tear testing project!
Not sure what test is right for you? Please contact us at 800-229-4235.